Thursday 22 January 2009

Anti Virus...

Greetings from Hamburg, Germany...
Over here on business; meeting tomorrow and flying back on Friday.

The good news? I flew from Edinburgh (EDI) to Heathrow (LHR) T5 and from there to Hamburg but, because I still have a BA gold card I got to visit the "First Lounge" for the (ahem) first time. All in all, it was a similar experience to the old T4 First experience but they have a separate area for the champagne bar. And so, this morning, I was relaxing with the Times (GoBama being very appropriate) and some canadian bacon, some scrambled eggs and a glass of Krug.

Where was I? Oh yeah; anti virus products...
A while ago (two years and five days to be exact) I bought a Kaspkersky Protection for Three PCs bundle from PC World. I had my main PC plus the ancillaries so I would easily use the three licences, right?
So, here we are, two years on and my Kaspersky rollout is precisely one. In the meantime, I moved my backend services to Linux, and I installed Clam and AVG and all was good...

Then, yesterday, I got a message that my main PCs AV (Kaspersky) was out of date and that updates were no longer possible.
WHAT? No Warning?
What about my three licences? OK, this is my fault; if I never installed it anywhere else, what do I expect?

I'll tell you what I expect; goddarn warning! I don't expect to go from 100% one day to 0% the next...

So, here's where I'm at...

Clamshell is doing great at protecting my mail server.
AVG does fine protecting my "throwaway" laptops
And I just installed Avira Free on the workstations I care about.

My question to you is this; why should I install anything above Avira for my main workstations?
(Kaspersky fans need not apply)

No comments:

Post a Comment